8 Health Benefits of Black Tea that You Didn’t Know About
Black tea is one of the most popular beverage drinks in western culture. The black tea leaves come from a plant known as camellia Sinensis. There are two major types of black tea. One is native to China and comes from a plant known as camellia Sinensis. This plant usually has small leaves and is generally used to make green and white tea. Whereas the other variety is long leafed known as camellia sinensis assamica and was originated in Assam. This variety is used for preparing black tea. Black tea is more oxidised than any other type of tea and so it has a strong flavour and a unique taste. Black tea, when consumed by simply brewing and without adding any artificial sweeteners or flavours, proves to be really beneficial for health.
- Contains antioxidants: Catechins, thearubigins and theaflavins are polyphenol groups found in black tea. Consuming these powerful antioxidants helps to reduce the cell damage by eliminating free radicals from our body. It also helps to maintain the blood sugar levels in the body, reduces the risk of chronic diseases and promotes overall health.
- Improves gut health: There are various kinds of bacteria present in our gut and play a crucial role in maintaining the overall gut health. Few groups of bacteria in our gut are good for us as they help to digest food and keep our tummy healthy from within. But there are a few types of bacteria which are harmful for our gut and presence of these groups of bacteria in our gut might cause serious health issues like type 2 diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, obesity and cardiovascular disease. Drinking a cup of black tea daily may help to keep these problems at bay as it contains polyphenols which inhibit the growth of bad bacteria like salmonella and promote the growth of good bacteria. The powerful antimicrobial properties in black tea eliminate the harmful substances from our gut, builds up our immune system and keeps our digestive tract healthy.
- Makes your brain alert: The presence of caffeine and an amino acid type known as L-theanine helps to make our brain alert, increases concentration level and keeps our brain active throughout the day. Starting your day with a cup of strong black tea would help you focus on your tasks, boost energy and improve work efficiency.
- Keeps blood pressure in control: Factors like stress, work pressure, unhealthy lifestyle, age and family history can cause high blood pressure in an individual and may even lead to heart attack, vision loss, kidney failure and sudden stroke. Making a few changes in our eating habits and daily routine would help to control blood pressure and keep all the serious health issues at bay. Including at least 2 to 3 cups of black tea in our diet would help to keep our blood pressure in control and thus maintain our overall health.
- Lowers bad cholesterol: Unhealthy diet and lifestyle can increase the LDL cholesterol in our body. Increase in the level of this bad cholesterol may lead to ischemic attack and improper blood flow due to plaque build-up in the arterial walls thus causing heart attack. Black tea generates an anti-hypercholesterolemic effect in our body and helps to reduce the bad cholesterol to a great extent.
- Provides relief from asthma: Asthma is a condition wherein the process of inhaling and exhaling becomes way too difficult. This health issue is caused when our bronchial tubes swell up and cause inflammation and breathing problems. According to Chinese, black tea is the best medicine to relieve asthma. The presence of flavonoids and caffeine in black tea provides relief from the uneasiness caused due to asthma. It also improves lung function.
- Helps to prevent skin infections: Well, we all know that skin is the largest organ in the human body and so proper care should be taken to keep our skin healthy and glowing. Our skin constantly gets affected by factors like pollution, smoke, dust, climatic changes, trashy food and an unhealthy lifestyle. It is one of the most sensitive parts of our body and needs utmost care to prevent skin infections and various skin diseases. Along with external care, consumption of products which are beneficial for skin is important. Black tea proves to be really beneficial for overall skin health as the flavonoids and catechins in black tea heals the skin and makes it healthy and glowing.
- Reduces hair fall and improves the hair texture: Have dull and lifeless hair? Is your hair falling too much? Well, black tea is one of the cheapest and easiest solutions for all hair problems. Black tea is loaded with antioxidants and so it helps to reduce stress and anxiety levels which is one of the main reasons for intense hair fall. Drinking black tea daily reduces stress, improves your mood and makes you happy from within. This reduces the release of stress hormones thereby reducing hair fall to a great extent. You can also use black tea liquor as an after shower tonic to improve the texture of the hair. Just brew black tea leaves, strain the concentrated liquid and rinse your hair with it soon after head bath. Doing this regularly will definitely improve your hair texture and make it shiny and silky.