8 Benefits of Walking and Improve Your Health
Want to lose some extra pounds and look fit? Well, who doesn’t want to look smart and feel active throughout the day? There are many people who regularly hit the gym to stay in shape. Some of them even go for yoga classes or simply perform mat exercises at home. All of this is really good for your overall health, provided it is done regularly. But in this modern era, we hardly get any time to workout on a daily basis. Well, there is one more exercise which is extremely easy to do, also you don’t have to make any sort of adjustment in your schedule for doing it. Walking is the simplest and the best exercise anyone can ever do. Brisk walking not only builds your stamina but also burns those extra calories and makes your heart function in a healthy way. There are a lot of benefits which this simple exercise can provide you with.
- Helps in weight loss: Walking helps you to burn calories and lose weight. 30 minutes of brisk walking is more than enough to lose weight and stay fit and healthy. It is not necessary to make changes in your daily routine and take out some time for this wonderful exercise. If you’ve got time in your hand, then it is absolutely great. But if you are leading a busy life and have no time to workout then just try to make little changes in your life like covering small distances by walking rather than seeking transport, using stairs instead of elevators and just walk wherever possible. People who set targets of reaching their desirable weight can challenge themselves by walking uphill or increasing the distance of walking daily. This will help them to lose weight and achieve their targets in a short span of time.
- Boosts immunity: Walking on a daily basis boosts your immunity system and reduces the chances of getting cold or flu. It also prevents upper respiratory tract infections and enables your respiratory system to function in a healthy way. Walking is very beneficial especially during winters as we tend to get cold during that period of the year. So, you can try brisk walking or even walking on a treadmill for a good 60 minutes is enough to boost your immunity.
- Keeps your heart healthy: Sedentary individuals are more prone to cardiovascular diseases and sudden strokes by reducing the level of LDL cholesterol. One easy and best solution to keep these problems at bay is walking. Walking for at least 2 to 3 hours a day is sufficient to keep your heart healthy.
- Helps to improve blood circulation: Walking helps to improve your blood circulation thereby supplying sufficient amounts of oxygen and glucose to your brain and thus enabling it to function efficiently. So, walking can actually make you active and increase your concentration level to a great extent.
- Keeps your lungs healthy: Walking can improve your lung capacity and stamina as the rate of exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide is quite high while walking when compared to being in a stationary position. This high rate of exchange boosts your stamina and enables you to perform any kind of activity with efficiency and for a longer period of time without getting tired. It also improves the overall functioning of your respiratory tract.
- Strengthens bones and muscles: Aging causes your bones to become weak. As your bone density reduces, you get prone to injuries, fractures and osteoporosis. Bones determine our whole body framework and so it is important to keep our bones healthy in order to improve balance, posture and stamina. Walking regularly can reduce all these problems and helps to make your bones stronger. Walking also reduces the pain in the joints especially due to arthritis. As you age, you can also experience loss of muscles. Walking for about 2 hours daily can help you in toning your muscles and achieve a better physique.
- Reduces stress and uplifts your mood: In today’s world of technology, we all are so engrossed in our phones, laptops and computers which eventually leads to making our brains tired and inactive. Also, too much work pressure causes stress and anxiety. Well, take out some time for yourself and go for a long walk either in the morning under the sunshine or in the evening time. Walking is really good as it improves our blood circulation and stimulates our nervous system thus decreasing the production of stress hormones. The fresh air which we inhale and exhale during walking makes our brain active, reduces tension and improves our mood.
- Helps to improve digestion: Junk food and improper timings of consuming food can cause problems like bloating, constipation, diarrhea and gastrointestinal discomfort. It can even lead to serious health issues like colon cancer. So, it is important to eat healthy and drink a lot of water. Along with healthy eating habits, you should also make a habit of walking as it is really beneficial for improving digestion and maintaining a healthy gut. It also improves your bowel movement.