7 Benefits of Brown Rice. Brown Rice For Your Health
Rice, scientifically known as Oryza sativa is one of the primary crops and a common food staple all over the world. There are various kinds of rice like white rice, black rice, glutinous rice and hybrid varieties like basmati rice. Well, in terms of taste, white rice and basmati rice is the best option but if at all you are looking for a healthy option in rice then brown rice is the healthiest among all. This is mainly due to the way it is grown and prepared. Brown rice is unpolished and whole grain which makes it absolutely nutritious and healthy for consumption. If you love eating rice but want to switch to a healthier option, then brown rice would be the best as you would be amazed to discover the benefits which this rice offers.
- Helps in weight loss: Brown rice is one of the fibre rich foods and helps to maintain regular and healthy bowel movement. It improves the overall functioning of the digestive system. Eating a bowl of brown rice keeps your tummy full and so you would not feel hungry for a long time. This will help you control your habits of eating junk food in between meals and eventually help you to lose those extra pounds.
- Helps to prevent neuro-degenerative disorders: Germinated brown rice contains gamma aminobutyric acid in high amounts. This component is essential for your body as it prevents neuro-degenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease by inhibiting protylendopetidase, a harmful enzyme.
- Helps to prevent gallstones: Gallstones are usually formed due to secretion of excessive amounts of bile juice having high cholesterol level, bilirubin and calcium salts. Bile is a digestive fluid which is produced in your liver and is stored in the gallbladder. The bile acid can dissolve a certain amount of cholesterol made by the liver. But when the liver starts making more cholesterol than your bile juice can breakdown, it leads to the formation of cholesterol stones or gallstones. Well, this problem can be solved to a certain extent by replacing your regular white rice with the brown one. Brown rice contains insoluble fibres which suppresses the excessive amount of bile juice and regulates the movement of food. This prevents the formation of gallstones.
- Improves nervous system function: Brown rice consists of vitamin E, vitamin B and magnesium. All these essential vitamins and minerals regulate your nerves and muscles, boosts the metabolism of your brain and maintains the overall health of the brain and the nervous system. It prevents sudden activation of your nerves due to release of calcium in your nerve cells. It also keeps various brain diseases at bay.
- Perfect food for babies: Brown rice is high in fibre and is easy to digest. Essential nutrients like selenium, calcium, manganese, iron, phosphorus, vitamin b and vitamin E in brown rice helps in your baby’s growth. There are many cereal products in the market which claim to be healthy for your baby but most of them are made from white rice or any other kind of cereal which might not be that healthy. Replacing these commercial baby foods with organic brown rice would be really beneficial for your child’s overall development. It is the best option for babies whose age is over 6 months. Brown rice can be fed to babies in the form of a pudding with lots of mashed vegetables and ghee or with milk.
- Promotes bone health: Want to make your bones strong and flexible? Well, you just have to make a small modification in your diet. Along with the consumption of fresh fruits, vegetables and various health products, include brown rice in your diet and say goodbye to any other type of rice you have been consuming so far. Brown rice consists of high amount of magnesium which is a vital mineral to keep your bones strong and healthy. It not only keeps your bones strong and flexible but also prevents various bone disorders like osteoporosis.
- Treats acne prone skin: Tired of breakouts and those stubborn pimple marks on your face? Excess production of sebum on your skin results in skin allergies and breakouts. Consuming a lot of white rice might be one of the causes for these sudden breakouts on your face as it triggers excess sebum production. Other factors like junk food, unhealthy lifestyle, exposure to sun and consuming too much sugary stuff also affects your skin drastically. Brown rice is a type of rice which has skin cooling properties and so it soothes the skin burns, prevents pimple breakouts, fades the dark spots and marks and keeps your skin healthy and glowing. Just soak brown rice in water for a few hours and then apply that water with the help of cotton balls on affected areas. Doing this regularly would finish off all your skin problems.